May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month, here are some tips & education about skin cancer from our Master Esthetician, Alex.
SKIN CANCER FACTS
- Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the US.
- 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer by 70.
- Having 5 or more sunburns doubles your risk for melanoma.
- UV radiation is a proven human carcinogen.
- Indoor tanning devices can emit UV radiation in amounts 10 to 15 times higher than the sun at its peak intensity.
- An estimated 90% of skin aging is caused by the sun.
- When used as directed, sunscreen decreases your risk of skin cancer and precancer.
SKIN CANCER TIPS
- Pairing in-office treatments, such as microneedling & our Vitamin C brightening treatment, with sun protection can help to treat pigmentation caused by sun damage over time.
- Dr. V and Alex suggest incorporating a Vitamin C and Retin A into your skincare routine especially during the summer months to protect and treat pigmentation.
- We recommend the use of a Physical (Mineral) Sunscreen with an SPF of 50 or higher, and reapplying every two hours.
- Look for sunscreens that contain either Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide block and scatter the rays (like a shield) before they penetrate your skin. These broad spectrum sunscreens protect against both UVA and UVB rays.
- We always suggest wearing a wide-brim hat out in the sun as well!
CALL 703-327-8200 TO BOOK A SKIN CONSULTATION TODAY.